Hailing from Christianburg, Virginia; Brian began his musical at the age of nine by learning the basics of music on piano. Once he had that down he branched out and learned bass, drums, mandolin and harp. His family encouraged him to pursue music. He was also influenced by the sounds of Eric Clapton. After seeing Josh play at a junior high talent show and seeing the response girls had to a guy with a guitar, Brian picked one up! Guitar really struck a chord with him. Before long he was in a band with Josh and searching for a way to give back to God with his new found talent. The answer was forming a band with a mission known as DecembeRadio. You will find Brian playing lead guitar and vocals. When not on the road you might find Brian wiggling his ears (a hidden talent) or answering questions from fans like "Where is Curtis?".
Get to Know Brian Bunn
- When were you born, and where did you grow up?
I was born on April 5, 1982 in Roanoke Virginia. I grew up there, too.
- Do you like animals? Tell us about your favorite pet (name, species, etc.).
Yes. I love dogs. I have a two year old black lab named Sarah. She love to chew things, but hates to hear me practice violin. She always wants to go outside when I play. Does that mean I'm really bad?
- If your life flashed before your eyes, what would be the highlights?
Getting baptized, getting married, our honeymoon trip, and getting a bus to tour in instead of our cramped old van!
- What was the year, make, and model of the very first car you ever owned? Did you have a name for it?
It was an 80's navy blue Pontiac. I can't remember what model, but it was a chick magnet! Ha...Ha
- When did you first begin to play an instrument, and what was it? Name all the instruments you can play.
I took piano at the age of seven but didn't really like it. I started guitar at 11, and loved it. I can also make some noise on pedal steel, mandolin, harmonica, lap steel, and fiddle.
- If you were going to the movies, and there's the choice of a thriller, action adventure, comedy, horror, or romantic drama playing, which would you go see?
If I have been away from my wife too long I'll choose something romantic. You know, just to remember what it feels like not to be with the same six guys 24 hours a day. If not, I love thriller and action adventure movies.
- What are your hobbies outside of music? Any sports or activities in which you love to take part?
Scuba Diving, drinking coffee, and whatever my wife wants to do.
- Choosing from the usual professional sports, (football, baseball, basketball, hockey, golf, NASCAR, etc.) which is your favorite? Who is your favorite team or player?
I like football. Virginia Tech Hokies are my favorite college team.
- Give us the list of your favorite foods: desert, restaurant, fast food, on the road travel snack, and your overall favorite food.
Favorite desert: Oreo dirt cake
Favorite restaurant: Naguya Sushi in Radford, Virginia
Favorite fast food: McDonald's breakfast Egg McMuffin
On the road travel snack: My favorite travel snack is almonds.
Favorite overall food: I love Gourmet Pizza, hamburgers, and sushi.
- When you're home, do you cook? If yes, what do you call your signature dish, and what's in it?
Sometimes I get in the mood to cook but it's the preparation I hate. It takes me hours to find stuff at the grocery store. Also, we have so little time at home I hate to spend it cooking, but it sure does make my wife happy.
- What's your most memorable on the road story?
I remember thinking we had made it when someone gave us $200 to play a show back in 1998. It's amazing to me to just look back and see how far we have come.
- What is your favorite song to play in concert?
I like to play anything new. I guess my favorite song to play would be "Satisfy Me".
- What is currently in your CD player/mp3 player?
I've been listening to Darius Rucker, Kings of Leon, Hillsong, and Bryan Sutton.
- What is your favorite television program, and what makes it your favorite?
I love LOST. It's Genius! Heroes is my new favorite. I wish I had super powers. If I had a super power I would like to be able to fly, so I could fly to concerts so I wouldn't have to waste time traveling. I would fly faster than the speed of sound.
- What is your first memory as a child?
I have a great memory of getting a pony for my 5th birthday. I named him Cracker because he liked to eat saltine crackers. I also remember wanting to keep him in my basement.
- If you were lost on a deserted island what three things (not people) would you want with you?
Coffee, guitar, fishing pole
- If you could travel back in time, to what time period would you go?
I'd go back before they had CD burners and internet downloading. Or maybe the 1950's, because they had cool cars back then.
- For you, what is the best part about being in DecembeRadio?
I get to play music for a living! I also love getting to encourage people with the songs we write.